Total Pageviews

Monday, May 2, 2011

Then and Now

It has been a week since the big Rally last week. I wish I could put into words the feeling of seeing about 1000 people there to support Tanner. When I was approached last January about doing a fundraiser of this scale, the initial goal was a few hundred, maybe 300 to 500. As the weeks went by it became apparent to me the level of support that there was. When the day finally arrived and as things were set up, Things just flowed. The whole night went as planned. And the masses just showed up. I simply cannot find the words to describe what I was feeling. As has been posted previously, I add my gratitude to those who made this event possible. The list is extremely long so I will just add mine to those previously.


Now on to the current events, Late Saturday night Tanner had a headache like he has not experienced before. And with that came an event similar to Bells Palsy. His left half of his face was (for lack of better terms) paralyzed. Though not to the extreme that I have seem before. But any thing like this is extremely concerning. They did a ct scan that night. It came back negative. An MRI was done yesterday and showed a bit of inflammation in the area they were looking at. And today a spinal tap to check for anything viral. Ultimately there were a couple of leukemic cells were seen in the spinal fluid.

While this at first thought is extremely worrisome, as well it should be, When Dr Barnett talked with us, he assured us that this will in no way change plans for transplant!!! The game plan now is to do 10 days of radiation. By the time that is finished it will be time to move on to transplant phase. That is of course if the biopsy next week comes back good.

For those who are familiar with the medical terminology, his blood is still looking really good. He actually has an ANC of 500 today, due to the fact he has been doing neupegen injections to stimulate cell growth. There are no blasts seen in the blood. As Dr Barnette explained to us, Nuepegen will stimulate growth of good cells and also the bad. So they have no reason to think he is not in a position for transplant. The last treatment he received the chemo drug, mitazantrin, doesn't penetrate the nervous system and that would explain why this is now showing up.

So there you have it, a different day different plans. This seems to be the norm lately. Some day this will be behind us and we look back and wonder how we were able to endure. The we will remember that it was due to the huge support we get from everyone.

Please continue to remember Tanner with your prayers and Faith

Robert

4 comments:

  1. Hey Robert! So good to visit with you. Hey Tanner! So good to know you got the squirt gun and can start getting the nurses back if they don't treat you right :). We love you all.
    Shannon, Lori and Kade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just endure one hour at a time. We all continue to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fasted on Sunday for all of our sick cancer friends. Our family is still praying for Tanner. I am glad to get and update on Tanner's progress. I bet it was worrisome to find a few cancer cells in his spinal fluid. Will they be putting ARA-C in his spinal fluid? I am glad his ANC has come up and that he is done with the Mitoxantrone (blue stuff)! Did you ever find out if you could get the Neupogen through IV like Erin had? I think it's considerably more expensive, but it's less painful than a shot. I cannot recall the date of the transplant, but I hope it comes soon and that you get good results from the next aspirate. I am so sorry you guys have been stuck in ICS for so long, but I was excited to read that you have the corner room with a couch - I hope it makes things more comfy for your family. We did round #3 or #4 in there. It is a special room. We left some of our angels in there for your family. :) We loved the rally. It is so special for a community to band together for a friend in need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep on going, guys! We'll keep on praying for you! (and we'll be joining you soon)

    ReplyDelete