Here is is Christmas day. We have spent the day here at home with family and attending a wonderful Sacrament meeting. I wanted to share an experience we had last night. Over the last few days we have been the recipients of the twelve days of Christmas. Each Night we have received a different piece for a nativity set. It has been interesting the thoughts we have had. Ranging from I wonder who it is. to Lets find out who it is, to pure enjoyment of being remembered this time of year. At first we were determined to catch them, then it occurred to us that it was intended to be anonymous so I planned to write a thank you note for them, then it occurred to me, this is being done as an act of kindness (yes another act of kindness) given to our family. So as I sat in my chair reading the paper, or catching up on our cancer friends online as I do daily, I have a clear view of the front door out our window and they would simply keep their back to me and a hood pulled up over their head and place the package and then run. I am reminded of something that a friend (and also father who lost a son to cancer) told me---there can be no service rendered if there is no one to receive it!!!!!! A year ago it was so difficult to be on the receiving end of all the countless act of service we received, but now I have a much better understanding of the Lords plan. We received the final piece of the nativity set last night as we were home watching "The Polar Express". Included in the package was this quote from President Hinckley----CHRISTMAS IS MORE THAN TREES AND TWINKLING LIGHTS, MORE THAN TOYS AND GIFTS AND BAUBLES OF A HUNDRED VARIETIES. IT IS LOVE. IT IS THE LOVE OF THE SON OF GOD FOR ALL MANKIND. IT IS THE PEACE WHICH COMFORTS, WHICH SUSTAINS, WHICH BLESSES ALL WHO ACCEPT IT. IT IS FAITH IT IS FAITH IN GOD AND HIS ETERNAL SON. IT IS FAITH IN HIS WONDROUS WAYS AND MESSAGE. IT IS FAITH IN HIM AS OUR REDEEMER AND OUR LORD. WE TESTIFY OF HIS LIVING REALITY. WE TESTIFY OF THE DIVINITY OF HIS NATURE. IN OUR TIME OF GRATEFUL MEDITATION, WE ACKNOWLEDGE HIS PRICELESS GIFT TO US AND PLEDGE OUR LOVE AND FAITH. THIS IS WHAT CHRISTMAS IS REALLY ABOUT.
As I read this out loud last night and again today, It really hit me and made me ponder about the love and blessings given to us.
We have had a good, very good Christmas. We have spent is at home as a family. As we exchaged gifts this morning, I could't help but notice a picture of Tanner, on our memorial cabinet, He is looking directly at us and it was as if here were here watching us. It has definatly been different this year as we have been looking for ways to serve others and make sure they were taken care of this holiday season.
To those who have been involed in serving us or others, THANK YOU, words cannot describe the gratiude we have felt over the last days and over the last year.
Forever Strong
Robert
Merry Christmas! Someone did the 12 days of Christmas for us, too. It was so much fun. And I had the same kinds of thoughts--do I try to figure it out? I'm glad the service to you continues.
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautiful. What sweet reminers that it is important to give and to receive service. Thank you for posting this.
ReplyDelete